When sourcing bags, whether for personal use or for your business, it’s important that you understand what gsm (grams per square meter) means. GSM is a rating system used to measure the thickness, density and overall quality of a material. The higher the gsm number, the thicker and denser the fabric will be. Fabrics with low gsm numbers are generally less durable and sturdy than those with high gsm numbers. So if you’re looking for something that will hold up well over time, it’s important to choose one with a higher gsm rating. Another thing to remember when looking at gsm ratings is that not all fabrics are created equal. There are variations among different types of materials, even if they have the same gsm rating.
1. What is gsm and why is it important when sourcing bags
What is gsm?
GSM is a rating system used to measure the thickness, density and overall quality of a material. The higher the gsm number, the thicker and denser the fabric will be.
Why is gsm important when sourcing bags?
The gsm rating of a fabric is an important consideration when sourcing bags because it can help you to choose a material that is both durable and sturdy. It’s also important to keep in mind that not all fabrics are created equal – there are variations among different types of materials, even if they have the same gsm rating. So it’s important to do your research and understand the different gsm ratings before making a purchase.
2. How to calculate GSM
GSM testing requires the use of a GSM cutter, a common instrument that is used in most textile mills. the GSM cutter accurately calculates the GSM of fabric by cutting through the sample.
The GSM cutter evaluates the quality of the fabric by cutting the sample into a circle. the GSM cutter has sharp blades to cut the sample accurately and cut a good fabric sample area of 1/100 m2. The weight of the cut sample is then multiplied by 100 to give the GSM value of the fabric in grams.
The weight of the cut sample is 1.5 grams
Then fabric GSM = average cut sample weight × 100= 1.5 × 100= 150 grams
3. The different types of fabrics and their gsm ratings
There are a variety of different fabrics that can be used to make bags, and each one has its own gsm rating. Here is a brief overview of some of the most common types of fabric and their gsm ratings:
- Canvas – This type of fabric is made from cotton or a cotton blend, and it has a gsm rating of around 220.
- Nylon – Nylon is a synthetic fabric that is lightweight and durable, with a gsm rating of around 190.
- Polyester – Polyester is another synthetic fabric that is strong and abrasion resistant, with a gsm rating of around 200.
- Leather – Leather is a natural material that is tough and durable, with a gsm rating of around 1,000-1,200.
- Suede – Suede is made from leather or other materials that have been processed to give it a soft, velvety texture, with a gsm rating of around 400-500.
As you can see, there are many different types of fabric available, each with its own unique set of benefits and drawbacks. So it’s important to consider your needs when choosing the right fabric for your bag. For example, if you need something that is lightweight and durable, then nylon or polyester may be good options. But if you’re looking for something more heavyweight and durable, then canvas or leather may be better choices.
4. How to choose the right fabric for your needs
Typically, GSM testing is performed by the bag manufacturer at the fabric sourcing stage and then a fabric test report is provided to the b
When it comes to choosing the right fabric for your needs, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Consider what you will be using the bag for. If you need a bag for everyday use, then you will want to choose a fabric that is durable and sturdy. But if you’re looking for something more special-occasion-oriented, then you may want to consider something with a higher gsm rating that will give you a more luxurious feel.
- Think about the climate where you live. If you live in a hot climate, then you may want to avoid materials like suede which may not be as breathable.
- Make sure to read the gsm rating before making a purchase, so you know what kind of material you’re getting yourself into.
- Try to find samples of the fabrics you’re considering before making a final decision. This will allow you to feel them up close and get a sense of their quality and durability.
- Ask questions! If you’re not sure about something, don’t be afraid to ask the seller for more information.
5. Tips for finding the best deals on fabric
When it comes to finding the best deals on fabric, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Compare prices between different sellers.
- Look for sales or discounts. Many sellers offer discounts when you buy in bulk, so be sure to ask about this before making a purchase.
- Check out online fabric stores. There are a number of online stores that sell fabric at discounted prices, so it’s worth checking out a few of them before making a purchase.
- Order samples before buying. This will allow you to see and feel the quality of the fabric before making a final decision.
6. Final thoughts on gsm and bag sourcing
By understanding the different gsm ratings of different fabrics, you can make a more informed decision about what type of bag you’re looking to source. Let’s make a conclusion:
- Leather is a good example of a high-gsm fabric. With a rating of around 1,000-1,200, it’s one of the heaviest and most durable fabrics available. This makes it a good choice for bags that need to withstand a lot of wear and tear.
- Canvas is another good option for bags that need to be tough and durable. With a gsm rating of around 220, it’s not as heavy as leather but still has enough weight to it to be durable.
- Nylon and polyester are also good options for lightweight and durable bags. They both have gsm ratings of around 190, so they’re perfect for bags that need to be lightweight yet still durable.
When choosing the right fabric for your needs, it’s important to consider all of your options and make sure to read the gsm rating before making a purchase. By taking into account the climate you live in, the activities you plan on using your bag for, and the price you want to pay, you can find the perfect fabric for your needs.
Thanks for reading! We hope this article has helped you understand the importance of gsm ratings when it comes to bag sourcing. At our company, we specialize in selling bags made from high-quality fabrics, and we would be happy to help you find the perfect fabric for your needs. We offer a wide range of materials, including leather, canvas, nylon and polyester, so you’re sure to find something that suits your needs. And if you have any questions or need help choosing the right fabric, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’d be happy to assist you in finding the perfect bag for your needs. Fill out the form on the right side now to start your bag-wholesaling business!